Thursday, October 12, 2006

New Buildbot Patch

I've submitted my latest patch for the Buildbot. This one adds support for per-build comments akin to the Tinderbox feature.

This patch was a lot tougher than the previous ones. I went through implementation of a couple different ideas before I found a way that worked and wasn't an ugly hack. Right before creating the final diff I ended up not including my "user javascript" support. When I look at the patch now it has absolutely no code from my first attempt in it. I've read that this is often the case but I've never experienced it until now. Working on the Buildbot has really proved to me the need for some design before implementation. During my first two revisions of this patch I *did* do some design but I skimped out after getting the general idea and ended up tossing all of that code out.

Working with C++ for the past 8 months really turned me off of OOP, or so I thought. Working with the Buildbot has been a good experience for me. It's a mid-sized project, very highly designed, and very well implemented (at least from what I can tell). It has shown me that OOP doesn't have to suck, and that not all OOP languages suck.

1 comment:

rzr said...

Do you still maintain the installer ?

If yes please update :
http://buildbot.net/trac/wiki/Installer

--
http://rzr.online.fr/q/Cygwin