Thursday, November 30, 2006

Edgy Eft

Today I set out to install the latest version of Ubuntu, Edgy Eft (6.10). I've been an Ubuntu user since Warty Warthog (4.10) and a long time Debian user before that. I'm continually impressed with how they take the Debian base and polish it so well. I've always told people that Ubuntu "is like Debian with a better package set".

Since Dapper Drake (6.04) Ubuntu has had a new installer. It is more or less just an application that runs inside of a Live CD. The organization and feel of it is very similar to it's text based counterpart. I'm all in favor of a GUI installer but very disappointed with Ubuntu's. This post will detail the downfalls of it.

For the record, here is a summary of the hardware I was installing on:

  • IBM Thinkpad R51

  • 512MB PC2700 RAM

  • Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz CPU

  • Intel Pro Wireless 2200 a/b/g

  • CD-RW/DVD-ROM

  • 40GB Hard Drive

No comments: